The governance of education in a multicultural society
October 5th and 6th 2013
The aim of the meeting is
- to provide a comparative framework for discussion on what is required education-wise and what is practiced – under the law or policies – in multicultural societies in Europe;
- to elaborate a collective assessment of the practice and law in Italy and, due to its own legislative and policy-making powers, in Trentino;
- to draw the attention of local lawyers and policy-makers to the challenges of further translating the mainstream educational vision elaborated by ELA experts into legal instruments consistent with Italian legislation and with the provincial legislative competence.
The European Association for Education Law and Policy (ELA) is an independent association, with its head office in Antwerp. Its infrastructure is provided for by the University of Antwerp.
Education and the Law is the motto of the Association.
Education has the potential to unlock the door to equality and participation, it constitutes the basis necessary for empowerment of each individual, and for the promotion of all human rights. Education law means constructing, block by block, the foundation that will support educational rights in all nations and for all peoples and individuals.
The importance of the law notwithstanding, its members are aware of the relative value of each legal principle, whether it is founded on a convention or on some other legal source. ELA aims to encourage progress in educational rights by promoting the right to education as a right, by elaborating education law as a discipline and by actively supporting every serious effort made toward the gradual and progressive codification of educational rights and educational legislation.
Saturday, October 5th
• Roberto Toniatti – University of Trento
• Jan De Groof – College of Europe; University of Tilburg; UNESCO Chair for the Right to Education
Chair: Gracienne Lauwers –Free University of Brussels; University of Antwerp
Education in a multicultural society: law and practice in some countries in Europe
• Merilin Kiviorg – University of Oxford; Tartu University
• Ingo Richter – Deutsche Jugendinstitut in Munich; University of Tübingen
• André Legrand – Université Paris X
10:30 Coffee break
Education in a multicultural society: law and practice in Italy and Trentino
• Fabrizio Fracchia – Bocconi University
• Olga Bombardelli – University of Trento
• Davide Azzolini – Institute for the Impact Evaluation of Public Policies (IRVAPP), Fondazione Bruno Kessler
• Luciano Covi – IPRASE (Institute for Research and Educational Experimentation), Autonomous Province of Trento
Chair: Roberto Toniatti – University of Trento
The governance of education in a multicultural society: policies and the law
• Paul Zoontjens – Tilburg University
• Gracienne Lauwers – Free University of Brussels; University of Antwerp
• Hans-Peter Füssel –Deutsches Institut für Internationale Pädagogische Forschung; Humboldt University
16:30 Coffee break
Public presentation of “Balancing Freedom, Autonomy and Accountability in Education” edited by Charles L. Glenn and Jan De Groof, 4 vol.s, Wolf Legal Publishers
• Fulvio Cortese – University of Trento
• Cinzia Piciocchi – University of Trento
• Olga Bombardelli – University of Trento
18:30 End of the session
Sunday, October 6th
Chair: Jan De Groof – College of Europe; University of Tilburg; UNESCO Chair for the Right to Education
The governance of education in a multicultural society: future actions by ELA in promoting research and teaching in education law
Olga Bombardelli - Presentation of The Comenius Project ECLIPSE – European Citizenship Learning in a Programme for Secondary Education (The Project Consortium consists of education experts from Germany, Italy, Portugal, Romania, Spain and United Kingdom with experience in the advanced teacher training and education training of young people).
Participation is free of charge, but advance registration – through the website www.unitn.it/giurisprudenza - is appreciated.
- Faculty of Law, University of Trento
- ELA (European Association for Education Law and Policy) University of Antwerp
- Fulvio Cortese
- Cinzia Piciocchi
- Roberto Toniatti
Faculty of Law - University of Trento
phone: +39 0461 281844