Admission requirements to the Master's Degree in European and International Studies (MEIS)
Students intending to enrol on the first year of the Master’s Degree in European and International Studies (MEIS) – taught entirely in English - must be in possession of:
- A three or four-year bachelor’s degree (180 credits) awarded in Italy, or other qualification recognised as equivalent awarded abroad, which includes the equivalent of at least 60 course credits from at least two of the following disciplinary areas: History and Philosophy, Economics, Law, Political science, Sociology or Foreign Languages;
- A good level of English;
- Basic knowledge of a second foreign language, other than italian, from among those offered at the University of Trento ((Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, German);
- A personal background with suitable professional vocational and academic experience appropriate to the interdisciplinary nature of the degree course.
Applications from non-EU students must be submitted from 2 February to 16 March 2016 by completing the online application form and attaching all documentation indicated in the Public Selection Call for Applications 2016/17 (available in the download box of this page). Candidates who have not graduated by the date they submit their application must do so by 31 July 2016.
Applications from EU students must be submitted from 30 May to 8 July 2016 by completing the online application form and attaching all documentation indicated in the Public Selection Call 2016/17 (available in the download box of this page). Candidates who have not graduated by the date they submit their application must do so by 3 October 2016.
Students who are Italian or EU-citizens, or those of equivalent status, who expect to attain their bachelor’s degree before 31 October 2016 may still take part in the selection process. If a conditional offer is received, students will have until 12.00 on 3 October 2016 to register. These students will then be able to confirm their registration as soon as they graduate, or no later than 12.00 on 31 October 2016 in any case.
Candidates seeking admission to the selection procedure must complete the relevant form (“application online”), available at the following link:
To participate in the selection procedure it is necessary to have one of the following international language cerficates with a date not earlier than March 2014 for non-EU students and June 2014 for EU students:
- IELTS Academic: minimum band 6.0 (no skill lower than 6.0),
- TOEFL Internet-based (or equivalent TOEFL paper based of TOEFL computer based): minimum score of 93 (no skill lower than 23).
If you do not currently possess a valid language certificate, you will need to act promptly. Bear in mind that testing bodies have fixed examination schedules and take a certain length of time to issue certificates.
Exemptions: Candidates who have gained their degree (Bachelors or Master’s) from a university where the tuition takes place entirely in English in either an EU country or in Australia, Canada, Norway, New Zealand, Russia, the USA or Switzerland, are not required to produce an English Language certificate.
Preparing for the MEIS
A digital self-evaluation test can be found at the link below. This test will help you to identify any gaps in your knowledge of the relevant disciplines.
In the download box you can find a list of recommended reading texts to help fill these gaps and thus prepare for study on the Master's Degree in European and International Studies (MEIS).
If you require any additional information or advice on how to best prepare for studying on the MEIS, the programme tutor can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Trento offers a Tutoring Service to provide more comprehensive and personalized assistance to international students.
The service provides support during the important phases of pre-arrival, arrival and post-arrival to the University of Trento .