Cost of living
A student's average budget will have to consider the following general expenses. All amounts, which are only approximate, are expressed in euro from a minimum up to a maximum.
Immediate costs to face at your arrival
- stay permit application: from € 157.96 to 177.96 (according to the duration of your stay) + the cost of health insurance;
- health insurance for Non-Eu students: € 149.77 (per calendar year) for enrolment in the Italian Health System;
- private health insurance for Eu students: prices may vary according to the insurance companies
- Opera accommodation deposit to get the key: € 400 cash *From September 2016 € 360 mandatory deposit at your arrival (refundable) + € 40 when you leave for check out expenses (non refundable)
- meals at the University canteens: approximately € 270/month (€ 4.90/full meal; € 4.40/small meal; € 3.10/snack);
- housing rent (see prices below);
- bus transport: € 1.20 for a single ticket (valid up to 70 minutes); monthly bus pass € 26.50 or € 31.50 if you are over 29 years old.
Approximate cost for the first month of stay: € 1200.
Price per person/month for accommodation in Opera Universitaria lodgings:
- € 180 in a double-bedroom / € 220 in single room: only for students who have applied for Opera Universitaria benefits and fulfill the economic and merit requirements foreseen in the Call for applications of the Opera Universitaria (published in June each year at the following link);
- € 250 in a double-bedroom / € 310 in a single room: for students within bilateral agreements or special projects and for other students who do not have the requirements foreseen in the Opera Universitaria's Call for applications, PhD students, interns, etc.;
- € 305 in a double-bedroom / € 365 in a single room: for post-doc students.
For a place in a double bedroom in a private house: from € 250 to € 350/month + € 150/month for the general expenses: water, electricity, heating, internet etc.;
For a mini flat for 1-2 people: from € 500 to € 800/month plus € 150/month for the general utilities: water, electricity, heating, internet etc.;
Please note that if you find the private accommodation through a real estate agent, you will be asked to pay one month rent for the service. Furthermore, you will be required to give the landlord at least 3 months rent as a deposit plus pay the first month’s rent in advance.
For meals in a university cafeteria: approximately € 280/month (€ 4.90/full meal; € 4.40/small meal; € 3.10/snack)
For breakfast in a bar: approximately € 70 euros/month (€ 2.50 for a cup of coffee + croissant)
For one meal in a medium-priced restaurant/pizzeria: € 15/30;
The approximate prices of some items are listed below (in euro):
Milk: 1.20 / Litre
Bread: 4.50 / Kilo
Butter: 1.70 / 250 gr.
Beef: 9.00 / 19.00 / Kilo
Chicken: 8.00 / 10.00 /Kilo
Rice: 1.70 / 2.50 / Kilo
Pasta: 0.80 / 1.20 /Kilo
Mineral water: 0.50 / 0.80 /Litre
For bus transport: € 1.20 for a single ticket (valid 70 minutes); monthly bus pass € 26.50, yearly bus pass from € 208, up to € 251; see the link
For an Italian language course with the Centre for Language (CLA): free of charge - up to € 100.00/course; see the different prices according to your profile at this link
For clothing: shoes € 70.00/pair, jeans € 20.00-40.00 €/pair, sweater € 40.00 – 60.00.
To buy a laptop: € 400.00 – 1.000.00.
For a drink in a bar: € 3.00 a small beer, € 1.10 a cup of coffee (espresso), € 1.50 a croissant.
For a movie ticket: € 8.50; for a 10-entrance card: € 50.00 – 55.00.
For a museum ticket: € 4.00 – 8.00.
For a theatre/concert ticket: € 15.00 – 40.00.
For a gym course : € 60.00 – 100.00 /month - (20€ with Uni.Sport)
To buy a skipass during the skiing season: € 35.00 – 50.00/day.
For a swimming pool entrance ticket: € 4.60 for students (up to 26 years old) - 10-entrance card from € 38.70 for students up to 26 years old and € 51.40 for adults.
To enroll to Unisport and have the right to special prices for gym courses, entrance to swimming-pools and tennis courts, etc.: € 20.00/year.
Stay permit renewal costs
- stay permit renewal: € 157.96 for the application itself (€ 110.46 for the stay permit + € 30 for the postal service + € 16 for the revenue stamp) + € 149.77 for the National Health insurance;
- for the renewal of the stay permit the Immigration Office (Questura) might ask you to prove that you have at least € 500.00/month for minimum 6 months - please note that this amount will just allow you to afford basic expenses.
It is highly recommended that you can count on an amount of € 600/700 € per month.